Son of a Gun (my review)


Let me start by saying that I MAY have missed a bit or I'm just a little confused on a couple aspects that weren't clarified before I began watching Cory Gunz' show...

I'll start with my confusion:

It's clear from the show that Nick Cannon is Cory's manager/mentor. Cory also has a manager/attorney, Ed, that doesn't quite respect Nick's (gangster) presence. Ed's been with Cory for a long time and feels like Nick has just come in and taken over their hard work. Now here comes the confusion, I'm not sure if Cory has been signed  to Young Money the entire time while filming for this show*. He mentions having a deal in the premiere episode but not the usual "Wayne" mentions that YM artist do.What I do know is Peter Gunz is a clown and I'll watch simply because of him.

It's clear (to me) that Peter Gunz  thinks he's a star but he also knows that he doesn't have the exposure that he'd LIKE being that star that he thinks he is. So what does he do? Steal his son's show. It's my opinion that he shouldn't be on EVERY show and EVERY scene but clearly Nick (show producer) and Peter don't feel this way. But I will say, had Peter not have been on this show I wouldn't watch it. The highlight of the show is when Peter comes  in the studio while studio time is in progress and basically Kanye'd the moment with a "yeah that's hot but let's work on this..." (something like that). He just came out of nowhere while Cory sat there with his tail between his legs.

I say the show is decent but don't expect too much from the star of the show, Cory's teeth have more personality than him...Russell Simmons' brief cameo filled with potty mouth like poetry was more entertaining. Maybe if anything this venture will give Nick the street cred his money can't buy...


SON OF A GUN Trailer

The Channel | Myspace Video





*I've checked the web and nothing concrete has been said about whether Nick is still his manager. However, I did see that Cory is signed to a couple labels and an article from the NY Daily News , on April 11, 2011, did say that this show chronicles a showdown between Nick and Wayne's crew over Cory's career...guess I'll watch and find out.

Comments

Nesia said…
lmao lmao lmao "Cory's teeth have more personality than him" when does this come on?!!?!?!?!?!!?
imonme said…
I was slightly shocked to see Peter AGAIN! I figured he would be in the first episode, but then when I saw him (and his larger-than-life "personality") in the 2nd episode I was like "Dang!". I think if he had it HIS way, he would be the Producer, Writer AND Star of the show! And poor Cory just sits there, takes it, and vents to the "confessional camera"... I pray the show makes it a full season, Peter takes a back seat to his son, Nick gains *some* respect (bc the money won't be an issue), and Cory manages to "grow a pair"!

I'll keep watching until I am no longer entertained...
Rosee said…
The show is pure comedy on some many levels.

Popular posts from this blog

OLDIE BUT GOODIE: Angela Bassett and Tupac

VIDEO: Nas Performing "Daughters" + Album Release Party Pics

Awkward Spottings...