Gabrielle Union Talks Providing For Her Husband + Having Kids + Her Collard Greens Recipe



With the season two premiere of BET's 'Being Mary Jane' set to premiere early in February I'm gearing up for an abundance of all things Gabrielle Union kicking things off with the February cover of Uptown Magazine.

Inside the issue Gabrielle Monique Union is candidly hilarious as usual while also providing great imagery for the mag. Union speaks on moving back to California one day, her collard greens, the idea of not having children one day and why she lives so below her means.

“I feel like Dwyane provides for us in Miami and I should provide for us in L.A. I bought a really great house and we’re remodeling. What I wanted is really in Bel-Air, but I have a deep Valley budget, so I’m there,” says Union of her real estate realities. “I got a lot of what I wanted, but I had to reevaluate my priorities.”


“[My] collard greens have pork, not this new age Negro-like turkey neck shit, and [for my] honey cornbread, I add, a half a thing of honey to the Jiffy mix and I like to eat it raw. That’s when I’m like, ‘Am I depressed?’ There’s at least some self-respect with [eating] brownie batter, or you know, cake batter.” 



 “I have really awesome stepkids, so I feel equally as fulfilled. I’ve lasted 42 years without having a human being come from one of my orifices and I feel okay and fulfilled and happy. If it does happen, it’s a miracle—a medical miracle at least. I mean, we’d love to. We’ll see what my ovaries say. Cause right now they’re taking Geritol.”




“I live so far below my means that if the career was taken away, I could get a job based on my level of education and my job skills, and I could still afford what I have. I plan ahead for the destruction, my financial ruin,” she laughs. “I might borrow some hot shit, but you’re gonna come to my house and be like, ‘What happened to that dope bag that cost as much as a home?’ I borrow that. I give it right back.”

Be sure to catch the return of Mary Jane Paul on February 3 on BET,

Photos: Russell James

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

OLDIE BUT GOODIE: Angela Bassett and Tupac

VIDEO: Nas Performing "Daughters" + Album Release Party Pics

Awkward Spottings...