Shonda Rhimes Delivers Commencement Speech At Dartmouth + Addresses Critics Regarding Speech Content



Writer and producer Shonda Rhimes delivered  the commencement speech at her alma mater Dartmouth this past Sunday (June 8).
"I’m a writer. I’m a TV writer. I like to write stuff for other people to say. I actually contemplated bringing Ellen Pompeo or Kerry Washington here to say my speech for me…but my lawyer pointed out that when you drag someone across state lines against their will, the FBI comes looking for you so…"
"My dreams did not come true. But I worked really hard. And I ended up building an empire out of my imagination. So my dreams? Can suck it." -  Full Text  
Check out Shonda's speech. There has been quite a bit of critics expressing concern about her content. I will let y'all check out the speech before I say where the issue lies for some. I guess I understand what she's saying and think the majority of the backlash is/was groupthink.


Y'all tell me what you think.


Source




The uproar over the content of Shonda's speech at her alma mater most specifically was: hashtags. Now Miss Rhimes has responded...
I see there is some drama about what I said about hashtag activism. Which makes me think some of you who are upset did not actually read or hear my speech (I invite you to watch it — the link is here). I was very clear. That speech I gave? Was for the 1100 or so students graduating from Dartmouth on Sunday. If you were receiving the privilege of breathing the rare air that comes with getting an Ivy League degree on Sunday, I was talking to you. I was talking to those to whom much has been given and I was reminding them that much is expected (Robert Kennedy) Hashtags are amazing for raising awareness. But I was telling them to go beyond that and do more. To actively try to give back in a hands on way. If you were not receiving a degree from Dartmouth on Sunday? I was not talking about you. I wasn’t even talking to you. I love that so many people saw and responded to the speech. But as I said in my speech, I was having a fireside chat with my Dartmouth peeps, remember?    
Have a lovely day! (Am going back to my hiatus and my Orange is the New Black Watching)
#dartmouth14 #hashtag

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

OLDIE BUT GOODIE: Angela Bassett and Tupac

VIDEO: Nas Performing "Daughters" + Album Release Party Pics

Awkward Spottings...