VIDEO: Sheryl Underwood Calls Afro Hair "Nasty"
On last Friday's episode of The Talk co-host/comedian Sheryl Underwood made some comments about "afro hair" while having a round table conversation with her co-hosts relating to Heidi Klum's children's hair.
Klum who has bi-racial children with ex-husband Seal stated recently that she and Seal keep their kids' hair after each hair cut which astonished Underwood with this shocking reply.
Heidi Klum shared that she saves the “shorn hair” of her biracial children with ex-husband Seal. She described her children’s hair as “pretty.” Underwood asked Klum, “Why would you save afro hair?” then joked, “You can’t weave afro hair.” She added, “You never see [black women] at the hair place going ‘Look, here, what I need here is, I need those curly, nappy beads…That just seems nasty.”
I can see where some would get shocked and appalled by Sheryl's comments when she insinuated that "afro hair", which I am assuming she means coarse or kinky, is nothing to overjoy about. With so many women, including myself, opting to wear their hair in a natural state these days the backlash was inevitable.
Now me, I wasn't offended at all but it was her comments that she later made to co-host Sarah Gilbert that left me with the stuck face. Sarah admitted to also keeping her children's hair which prompted Sheryl to describe their hair as being “probably some beautiful, long, silky stuff”.
To me this says nothing about me or any fellow women who have natural kinky hair yet hang ups that Sheryl has. She's the one who wears wigs and weaves almost always yet she has the nerve to publicly denounce a hair type that I am more than sure underneath her wigs she has even with a relaxer.
Here's @sherylunderwood w/o her wig, and her relaxed hair isn't healthy. She would look best natural. pic.twitter.com/iIScZDKHTK
— kokez (@kokupuff) September 1, 2013
Now, had Heidi said this it would have been off with her head. In all of this I am glad a woman who can't relate to "afro hair" yet she personally loves it and embraces it enough to save it as a keep sake.
BTW, I've saved hair before and still don't know why...hip me if you may.
Anywho, this was a joke gone bad which made Miss Underwood the butt of the joke. Sheryl has since apologized during an interview with Curly Nikki.
Comments